The gas-powered air compressor is a great heavy-duty working compressor ideal for truck or industrial uses. As it’s a heavy-duty air compressor and expensive, one should always be careful while selecting this type of air compressor.
While selecting the best gas-powered air compressor, you specifically need to consider the CFM and HP, which defines the capacity of the compressors. Gas-powered saves your time and money, and your money too which you will also be spending your money on bills from the electric air compressor usage.
Gas-powered air compressors have a lot of power and stability to provide continuous work to the user. These compressors have made heavy job working easier. Also, these compressors are the ideal choice for a remote area where you may have no electricity.
- 1 What is Gas Air Compressor & How does it Work?
- 2 9 Best Gas Powered Air Compressor Reviewed
- 2.1 1. Ingersoll-Rand SS3J5.5GH-WB
- 2.2 2. Industrial Air Contractor Gas Air Compressor
- 2.3 3. Metabo HPT Air Compressor
- 2.4 4. Rolair GD4000PV5H
- 2.5 5. Mi-T-M AM1-PH65-08M Portable Air Compressor
- 2.6 6. HPDAVV Gas Driven Piston Air Compressor
- 2.7 7. Campbell Hausfeld CE2000
- 2.8 8. Mi-T-M ADS-23110-120HM M Series
- 2.9 9. BelAire 3G3HHL 13 HP
- 3 Benefits of a Gas-Powered Air Compressor
- 4 Things to look at when Buying a Best Gas Air Compressor
- 4.1 1. Tank Size
- 4.2 2. Max PSI
- 4.3 3. Engine Type
- 4.4 4. CFM
- 4.5 5. Weight
- 4.6 6. Dimensions
- 4.7 7. Your Air Tool Requirements
- 4.8 8. Portable or Not
- 4.9 9. Drain Valve
- 4.10 10. Horsepower
- 4.11 11. Noise Level
- 4.12 12. Your Budget
- 4.13 13. Durability
- 4.14 14. Oiled or Oil-Free
- 4.15 15. Indoor or Outdoor
- 4.16 16. Fuel-Efficient
- 4.17 17. Warranty
- 5 What is Better, Gas or Electric Air Compressor?
- 6 Types of Gas Air Compressors
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 FAQs
What is Gas Air Compressor & How does it Work?
The gas-powered air compressors are powered by gas. These compressors do not need any electric outlet to start, and you do not need to place them around any plug. There are no electric cords which make transportation easier. They are heavy-duty projects running a compressor and generate a lot of fumes which makes them outdoor compressors.
These compressors are gasoline-powered compression systems with important components. The gas compressor has two components: An air end and a gas engine. In the air end, the compression process occurs.
The air end helps draw atmospheric air in the compression, where it is forced to a compact location. This process is an act of forcing or compressing air.
9 Best Gas Powered Air Compressor Reviewed
Below we’ve reviewed the top 9 Gas-powered air compressors based on customer feedback, reviews, and rating. Also, we’ve highlighted some of the features that will help you know whether it’s of your use or not.
Ingersoll-Rand gas air compressor features are:
- It is a portable gas air compressor
- Ideal for no electricity areas
- Lightweight and compact
- It has a 100% duty cycle
- It comes with twin 8-gallon tanks
- It has a 5.5 hp
- It has a gas-powered engine
- It has 135 PSI.
- It has cast iron construction with 5000 hours of use
- It can perform 4-times more than petroleum lubricants.
Ingersoll rank has been in the market for over 100 years. Producing power tools and air compressors, they manufacture and keep them of the best quality with reliability, durability, and performance.
Being committed to providing a better future and trying to promote environmental peace with compressors’ lower sound levels. They provide safe, efficient, and sustainable tools and compressors.
This specific air compressor of Ingersol is a lightweight gas engine wheelbarrow and provides portability on job sites. Being cast-iron constructed allows it more running time and lasts longer.
It is a 100% duty cycle compressor with regulators, pressure switches, gauges, and couplers. Being a 5.5HPp motor makes it powerful, and an 8 Gallon twin tank capacity compressor makes it ideal for heavy-duty working.
This gas-powered air compressor can deliver 135 PSI and is ideal for no electricity areas. Being lightweight and flexible makes it durable and sustainable. And 8-Gallon allows multiple tools to work simultaneously.
This easy-to-start gas-powered compressor has 5000 hours of trouble-free use with a long-lasting pump. This is capable of performing four times more than basic petroleum-based lubricants.
The features/specification of industrial air compressors are:
- It has an oil-free Pump
- It has two-piece planted in the pump for cooling the unit.
- It can deliver 5HP with gas to the engine.
- It has a 4-Gallon tank
- It works on 155 PSI maximum for tool performance.
- It comes with a pontoon-style tank 2-gallon tank for job sites
- It has 5 CFM at 90 PSI and 6.9 CFM at 40 PSI.
Industrial is a popular brand and has been in this field and serving its customers for a long time. This brand’s only motive is to provide durable and compact compressors to its users. In addition to providing a compact, they provide most of their compressors with low maintenance.
What is a low maintain compressor? Low-maintenance compressors are oil-free and do not requires oil to maintain. This specific model of the industrial air contractors is compact and easy to start compressor.
This compressor is a direct drive operation powered by a 5HP gas engine, and this engine makes it easier to start the unit and makes it a smooth runner. This lower fuel consumption and low emission unit also have a patented pump design two-piece cooling system.
These two pieces installed in the unit help in cooling down the system, increasing the efficiency and the life cycle of the compressor. The tank size of the compressor may be considered small because of 2-Gallon by the pontoon design makes it ideal for job sites.
This pontoon design air compressor has a regulator, gauges, and quick connectors. This amazing compressor has handles that are cushioned grips which make it easier to handle your unit.
You can easily do airbrushing, cleaning, bolting, stapling, finish nailing, framing, roof nailing, hobby nailing, and inflation because of its maximum pressure capacity of 155 PSI., which is a lot. This compressor is great for many applications because of its higher CFM: at 90 and 40 PSI, it has 5 and 6.9 CFM.
The features/specification of Metabo HPT air compressors are:
- The high capacity of 9.5 CFM @ 90 PSI
- It can operate multiple nailers.
- It is an oil-lubricated pump design compressor
- It comes with a cast iron pump
- It has a low RPM
- It has a 5.5 HP powerful motor
- It comes with a control panel
- It is an 8-Gallon
- The cooler helps in reducing moisture in the tank.
- It comes with a locking regulator.
- Reliable than a basic throttle cable
- It has stainless steel discharge hose.
The Metabo HPT, an amazing manufacturer of air compressors with the best quality and reliability, has come with another masterpiece. This compressor is a combination of professional and reliable operating air compressors.
This amazing air compressor comes with honda GX 160. This unit comes with a cast-iron air-cooled pump and a base plate control panel.
This is an efficient compressor that can work in any situation on any job site. This 5.5 HP motor is powerful and comes with 3600 RPM. The control panel makes it easier for the compressor to protect the gauge regulator.
This solid cast iron cylinder provides premium material, long life, and low oil carryover. It has a wheelbarrow design for easy transport from one location to another. The unit delivers higher CFM to provide power.
This much higher CFM allows multiple nailers operation, and its cast-iron allows higher performance. It is an oil-lubricated air compressor that provides improved performance. The air cooler in the compressor removes moisture in the air tank.
The compressor has a locking regulator which provides efficient delivery and a stainless steel hose that is corrosion resistant and flexible.
The features/specification of Rolair air compressors are:
- It is a gas-powered air compressor
- It is an amazing compressor that can easily work at 110-135 PSI
- It is an amazing outdoor compressor
- It has 118cc honda engine unit.
- It has a 4.5 Gallon capacity tank
- It has a roll-cage for protection.
- It can deliver 2.6 CFM @ 90 PSI
- It is a 72 pounds lightweight air compressor
Rolair is an old and amazing air compressor manufacturer brand that offers great air compressor and tools but is also efficient and reliable. Being an air compressor owner makes it easier to use air-powered tools.
The unit can work on all tools because of its high-pressure PSI of 135. The unit has a high capacity of delivering 135 PSI, making it easier to use pneumatic tools to work on it.
The compressor has the capability of generating 4.6 CFM at 90 PSI. These capabilities are great for multiple projects working on different tools. This gas-powered engine air compressor is ideal for both professional and personal use.
It is ideal for indoor and for job sites. This fuel-efficient engine can provide more output without investing too much cost. The feature of 4.6 Gallon allows heavy-duty working on different tools for a long time.
You can easily use brad nailers, impact wrenches, and guns on this 4.6 Gallon air compressor. It is an ideal manufactured air compressor because of these reasons.
The features/specification of Mi-T-M air compressors are:
- It comes with a stainless-steel discharge hose.
- It comes with an 8-Gallon twin tank
- The tank is powder-coated
- It has a 3/16-inch base plate.
- It has a 196 cc honda OHV.
- It is a gas-powered unit.
- It is 79.4 kg.
This Mi-T-M is a single-stage air compressor. This compressor comes with an 8Gallon ait tank capacity compressor. This is a gasoline series air unit that is stainless steel and comes with a discharge hose.
This amazing series of air units come with a 3/16-inch base plate that helps in the reduction of vibration. This compressor is specially designed for job sites that require more power than the normal pneumatic tools.
This model of the compressor is ideal for light and moderate use. This gas-powered engine is a long run and offers a lot of use. The 79.4 kg air compressor is a little heavier because of its gallon capacity. This model comes with a hose, pneumatic tool, and tire inflation hose.
The features/specification of HPDAVV air compressors are:
- It is a 13 HP motor/ 10Kw
- The compressor has a three-cylinder gas engine
- It is a 43.5 CFM Delievring compressor.
- It is a 125 PSI maximum working pressure.
- The compressor has a two-stage pump
- The unit is powered by gasoline
- It can work for 8000 hours with piston rings.
- It has a cast iron pump with a lot of HP
- It comes with a metal cover for the protection of belts and wheels.
- It is ideal for industrial and agricultural use
- It is a 30-Gallon unit.
This HPDAVV air model is an amazing 12 Hp motor with full power, and it comes with three gas cylinders. It is a powerful full capacity compressor that can deliver up to 43.5 CFM with a maximum operating pressure of 125 PSI.
This air compressor pump model is a two-stage that is powered by gasoline. The compressor uses wear-resistant by using the high temperature of piston rings, which helps it extend the replacement of rings by more than 8000 hours.
The unit has a cast iron pump with a large HP which uses a metal cover to protect the wheels and the belts of the compressor. This unit is easily installable in trucks or other service vehicles, and it is exclusively designed for heavy-duty working and to fulfill other needs of mechanic shop owners.
The compressor can work for both agricultural and industrial use, and its cast iron works hard for this purpose. Equipped with iron construction, the cast cylinder helps in more run time and easy unit maintenance.
The compressor pump is easily usable in the chemical industry, textile industry, food processing industry, health, and electronics industry. In addition, it can also work in the machinery, mining, construction, and scientific research sectors.
However, it works on engines whose exhausts contain carbon monoxide and can kill users indoors. Always use it in a well-ventilated area and, more precisely, outdoors.
The features/specification of gas GX160 honda engine air compressors are:
- It has a wheelbarrow design which makes navigation easier
- It is an oil-lubricated compressor
- It comes with two-cylinder
- The cylinder of the unit are two-stage
- It has a powerful engine to provide more power
- It has a metal belt
- It comes with 9 Gallon tank
- The unit is gas-powered
- The motor of the compressor is 5.5 HP
- The cast iron pump can deliver 10.2 CFM at 90 PSI
This air compressor is a heavy-duty working unit ideal for both professional and contractor use. In addition, you can also use the compressor for DIY use. Also, the compressor’s biggest issue is how to navigate it, but being a wheelbarrow-designed compressor, its navigation is easiest on worksites.
The compressor is gas-powered, allowing heavy working and lasting longer than the usual portable and electric compressors. The gas-powered with bein an oil-lubricated makes it even more powerful and helps in increasing its longevity.
It also happens because of its two-cylinder single-stage pump design, which increases its life. The compressor being powerful and having a honda GX160 engine helps provide reliability and power capabilities to the compressor and allows users to enjoy its function more.
The compressor has metal belt guards, which help provide safety to the unit. The Campbell Hausfeld compressor is a 9-gallon large capacity compressor with heavy delivery of 5.5 HP on heavy projects.
This unit is an amazing choice for needing the compressor in a nonelectric area; you can easily use this gas-powered air compressor in areas where electricity is not available. In addition, being a 10,2 CFM at 90 PSI.
The features/specification of air compressors are:
- The compressor has 34.2 CFM at 175 PSI.
- The unit has a 10HP motor
- It works on 230V
- The unit works on 39A
- The compressor has 883 pounds of weight
- It is a 120 Gallon tank compressor
- ASME safety valves.
- It is a two stage cast iron compressor
- It comes with a venting system
- It has a stainless-steel discharge hose
- It is a low RPM industrial motor
- It has a flywheel.
The compressor of this model is an amazing capacity and large capacity 120-Gallon tank unit. It is a two-stage M series. This cast iron and two-stage compressor come with a full venting system which helps in reducing crankcase pressure and heat.
The crankcase helps in extending performance time of the compressor. The cast iron with cylinders extends its durability, and it has a stainless-steel discharge hose. The industrial motor of the compressor works on low RPM.
This 120-Gallon air tank capacity compressor comes with a 3/16-inch base plate to help in reducing the vibration which is produced during the running of the unit. The enclosed belt guard and flywheel help in extra cooling and longer life span of the system.
This unit works on 230V and 39A. The compressor comes with ASME safety valves, a pressure gauge, intake filters, and a tank shutoff valve. In addition, it comes with a belt-tightening system to ensure belt alignment.
The features/specification of BelAir air compressors are:
- It is a 30-Gallon tank capacity compressor
- It works on 12 Volts
- It is a gas-powered unit
- It comes with an E-Z pull tank drain
- It is a fully enclosed belt guard system
- 13 HP powers it
- It delivers on 25.25 CFM
- Â It works on 175 maximum PSI operating pressure
- It comes with 369 pounds of weight.
The BelAir compressor is ideal, and its main advantage is the truck application. This makes application work easier by providing a lot of power. A compressor is an ideal unit for truck appliances; it is a powerful unit.
This model is a gas-powered air compressor has a 13 HP Honda engine to help maximize and provide efficient working to the tools. Being a gas-powered unit makes it powerful, and its 25.25 CFM delivery makes it ideal for heavy-duty working.
The BelAir compressor is an ideal choice for nailers and guns. In addition, you can easily for framing and finish nailers and provide an extra power capacity tank.
It is not a lightweight compressor but compared to other 30-Gallon air compressors; it is relatively less heavy. The compressor has an amazing capacity to work on 175 PSI maximum, which is extremely high and makes handling tools much easier.
Benefits of a Gas-Powered Air Compressor
Now you know what a gas-powered air compressor is and how it works. There is a lot of use of this compressor, which benefits the users. The benefits of the gas-powered air compressors are as follows:
- Save electricity cost: being natural gas-powered reduces the use of electricity. It reduces electricity needs and saves a lot of money. Gas is an affordable source relative to electricity.
- Versatile for job sites: there is no need for an outlet that makes it easier to use on remote sites. If you work in a location with no electricity, there is no issue because we do not need it. It does not need stationery and is plugged in all the time.
- Efficient: it is an efficient compressor that can easily bear a heavy-duty workload. It can be used to power various pneumatic tools and applications.
- Heat recovery: it can make use of excess heat recovered. It is recovered from the cooling jacket and gas exhaust.
- Natural gas: only natural gas is efficient and environmentally friendly because it almost generates no carbon monoxide.
- No spark: electric or other compressors are prone to spark, while gas-powered compressors have fewer chances of sparking, making them less dangerous.
Things to look at when Buying a Best Gas Air Compressor
1. Tank Size
Gas-powered air compressors are ideal choices for heavy-duty work like on construction sites or in the industrial sector. So, the tank size of the compressor is an important factor, and make sure to consider tank size according to your needs. Select atleast of 40-60 Gallon compressor or even more than a 100-120 Gallon tank. But it specifically depends on your need for work.
2. Max PSI
Although pneumatic tools need atleast 90-100 PSI to work, you should have an air compressor with at least 130-170 PSI for a gas-powered air compressor. This will help make your work continuous without the need to take breaks again and again.
3. Engine Type
An engine is the main source or supplies power to the compressor. It provides mechanical power by using fuel to burn and turn into power for the compressor. You should always consider a heavy and powerful engine compressor.
CFM of the compressor is the cubic pressure per minute a compressor can deliver. The higher the CFM, the more heavy-duty working your compressor can do. For gas-powered compressors, make sure to have more than 40-50 CFM to work without any trouble.
The weight of the compressor is an extremely important factor because it ensures easy transportation without any issues. If your compressor is heavy, you will have an issue while navigating it. Ensure to have a less-weight compressor, which will not cause issues during navigation.
You just need to ensure your compressor is not bulky and heavy and occupies too much space. The large compressor is ideal, but the heavy and bulky compressor is a pain for you.
7. Your Air Tool Requirements
The selection of a gas-powered compressor comes second, but first, you need to consider your needs and requirements. If you have a workshop, try to consider and take a rough estimate of your tools to ensure you buy an air compressor with a higher rating than the tools.
8. Portable or Not
Although portable compressors are always the best because even if you do not need to move them around, you can still do it in case of any emergency or need, however, if you have a stationary location them buying a stationary compressor is ok but consider a portable one always.
9. Drain Valve
Drain valves of the compressor make it easier to drain your compressor and help protect your compressor from corrosion or rust. Always drain your compressor and makes sure to have a drain valve that is easily accessible.
HP is the compressor’s power and allows the compressor to run smoothly and fast. The higher HP allows for more continuous work. Make sure to have 10-15 HP atleast to run a compressor.
11. Noise Level
Although gas-powered air compressors are noisy, make sure to have a humanly bearable noise level.
12. Your Budget
Ensure to select your compressor according to your budget. Keep your capacity of purchasing an air compressor in your mind and ensure to purchase according to that.
The durability of the compressor is very important to make sure to have a compressor with a 100% duty cycle. Then you can easily work and will not have to take a rest in between.
14. Oiled or Oil-Free
Most gas-powered air compressors are oil-lubricated, but it is up to you which is easy for you. You can choose accordingly, and Oil-free compressors are better because it needs less maintenance.
15. Indoor or Outdoor
Most gas-powered compressors are outdoors because they generate carbon monoxide, which is extremely dangerous for health.
The fuel-efficient compressor is an ideal choice because it can be used in remote areas without electricity and makes your work easier.
Always check your compressor’s warranty and ensure to buy an air compressor with atleast 2-3 years of warranty.
What is Better, Gas or Electric Air Compressor?
- Gas compressors use gasoline while generating power. It can be better than an electric-type compressor because of no need for electric outlets. You can easily use your compressor in remote areas without electricity.
- You do not need to worry about the extension cords in remote areas. You simply fill them with gas in a gas-powered compressor and start your job. In addition, there is no automatic mechanism for powering up or shutting down a gas compressor.
- In gas compressor, they have a pilot unloader which works depending on the pressure in the tank. This makes it a continuous compressor without a need for rest. These gas-powered compressors are great heavy duty work handling compressors, lasting the longest.
- These are common compressors. They are easier to use and portable.
- Gas compressors are bulky, but electric ones are lightweight, small, and compact.
- This compressor has an automatic shutoff valve which helps in protecting the compressor from over-pressuring. When the compressor reaches its desired pressure level, it shuts off. It also starts when it drops from the set pressure level.
- Gas-powered compressors are not indoor compressors because they mostly generate carbon monoxide, severely damaging to health. But electric compressors are great indoor compressors.
- Gas-powered compressors last longer, but electric ones die quickly.
From these differences, we can understand that both compressors are great in their places. The gas-powered compressor is ideal for heavy-duty working. In addition, it makes work easier in remote areas because of no need for electricity. They are not indoor compressors.
The electric air compressors are the ideal choice for indoor compressor needs. They are not for industrial or construction site use, but they can easily do nailing, framing, and DIY projects. Depending on your needs, decide which compressor is ideal for you.
Types of Gas Air Compressors
The reciprocatory air compressor is a piston-based compressor that comes with positive displacements, which helps in compressing the gas to reach the correct pressure level. These compressors use natural gas, which is ideal for industrial use.
In reciprocatory air compressors, there are three stages of functions. Those are
In the first stage of the gas compression process, theÂ gas through an intel enters the compressor, which passes from the scrubber. In this, the liquid falls out, and you can also drain it.
Afterward, the pistons work and push and compress the gas, which helps increase the temperature of the gas, and also increases the pressure of the gas. After this, the gas is passed through a cooling system which drains the gas. This process condensates the gas and helps it fall out from the gas, and then it goes into the scrubber process again to collect the liquid.
In the second stage, the gas is pushed with the piston again, increasing its pressure and raising its temperature. Then it goes into the cooler to cool down its temperature and collects liquid to condensate in the last scrubber.
In the compressor’s last and third stages, the gas goes from more stages before the compression is complete. The piston compressors it to the piston to further increase its pressure and temperature.
Screw Air Compressor:
This compressor uses rotors aligned on their sides to spin and compress the gas. In this, the gas enters the inlet and moves the rotors of the compressor while continuing. Then the gas gets discharged on the side of the compressor at the required pressure.
Compressors are a great choice and ideal for proving more power the tools and application. One of the best types of a compressor is gas-powered, which is great outdoors and in remote areas where you may not have electricity.
When choosing the best gas-powered air compressor for outdoor work, you need to have its features according to your needs. Selecting a large gas-powered air compressor is always an ideal option because you can easily do heavy-duty work on it without the need to waste your time.
Always consider compressor CF, HP, and PSI rating with weight and noise level while selecting the best Gas Air Compressors for your use. In addition, never forget to consider warranty, durability, running time, and most importantly, your budget while considering gas-powered compressors.
Do they make gas-powered air compressors?
Yes, many gas-powered air compressors are now being manufactured in the market. There are two types of compressor reciprocatory: the piston, 2-stage and 3-stage, and rotary screw compressor.
Are gas air compressors good?
The gas-powered air compressor is a much more powerful and reliable unit. If you use your compressor outdoors or in remote areas, gas compressors are a great choice. Gas-powered units are durable and reliable and can perform heavy-duty jobs.
What is the most reliable air compressor?
The compressor capacity of bearing and providing powerful air to the tools makes it reliable. Most gas engine compressor has a faster air rate than electric motors. The gas compressor is ideal if you need to use it for pneumatic tools or roofing. You can depend on your compressor because of its great heavy-duty working capacity.
Is higher CFM better air compressor?
CFM is the rate that indicates the airflow in the compressor. In other words, it measures the amount of air the compressor is capable of producing and delivering. Yes, the higher CFM rating is better because it makes the compressor efficient and provides more powerful air to the tools attached to it. This is why it is an ideal choice.
Do gas stations have air compressors.
In general, most gas stations have air compressors. They might have dedicated the pressure gauge attached to the air compressor to the users. You can ask any nearby clerk if you d not find your pressure gauge. Depending on the station, they might allow free inflators or ask for some fee. However, you will need to use it by yourself.
Hamza is a founder of Compressors Insights. He is an Electrical Engineer having strong experience in Technical and Power tools. He has been helping electricians, and HVAC technicians regarding tool selection, and how to use power tools (Compressors, Pressure Washers, Multimeters, etc)